Sunday, November 25, 2012

it's never too late to be grateful


This year was the FIRST year I have ever been away from my family over Thanksgiving.


It was the best it possibly could have been without all of my crazy Italians. Shared good food with my new friends here in Hawaii. We really went all out. My roommates and I made the pumpkin pies, I made the green bean casserole & candied yams, Amanda made the turkey, and Kaitlyn made the mashed potatoes. Stuffing, cranberry sauce, coconut cream pie, cherry pie, and apple pie were left to Andee & Ali. Peter and Abby brought the fruit salad, and the rest of the boys were assigned to bring apple cider (because, lets be honest... they were not going to cook as well as we did). 


It was so good. We basically had two large meals. We went to our ward's thanksgiving earlier in the day, and then had our own feast. 


Two Thanksgivings= a lot of calories. What better way to burn those calories than by doing an incredibly difficult hike....in the middle of the night. Yes, we hiked Stairway. It really did not seem as difficult on the way up, just stairs...very thin stairs, sometimes rickety, and a little bit slippery. On the way down I realized that some of the "stairs" we were climbing were more like ladders, and were completely vertical, never a good time to turn around and look down, especially when you have been up all night. 


The view was incredible. My body is still a bit sore. Totally worth it. 


Now, in my family, we have a tradition of going around the room to say what we are thankful for. Usually I think this is kind of silly, but there is so much that I am thankful for that I think it would be wrong not to take time to recognize them. 


Things I am thankful for:

1. My amazing and extremely supportive family (love you guys)!
1(and a half). My adorable nieces and nephews. I miss them everyday.
2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
3. Lifelong, TRUE, best friends. 
4. My education.
5. The University of Washington Huskies (even though sometimes my love for them can be a bit disappointing).
6. My chance to move to Hawaii.
7. Everyone I have met here in Hawaii who has welcomed me with open arms! 
8. My adopted family, the Wasden's.
9. My sitcom of a life.
10. My past, and the strength it has given me.
11. Job interviews!!!!
12. The beach and the ocean.
13. Singing & performing.
14. Having my car here in Hawaii.
15. My Patriarchal Blessing.
16. Good food. 
17. Football (see number 5).
18. Seattle, even though I have left you- you still have a special place in my heart!
19. DISNEYLAND, truly, truly, the happiest place on earth. Where I spent my childhood.
20. Dancing to good music.
21. Dishwashers (I miss them).
22. My personalized Erin Condren life planner! The best.
23. The Holidays. 
24. Live music.
25. Good advice.
26. Literature, old and new. (miss my English classes).
27. Writing.
28. Artwork.
29. Life experiences, good and bad. 
30. Laughter.
31. Leftover stuffing and green bean casserole (which I am not eating right now, in bed... because that would be gross.).
32. The rich cultural background on both sides of my family.
33. Traditions.
34. Starbucks, and the homey feeling it gives me (ahh, Seattle).
35. My Nordstrom credit card (the only way I am going to have something to wear for the Fall Ball next week, may as well call it my fairy godmother).


I could go on forever, but you get the idea.

Everything in my life has happened for a reason and it is all so clear to me now that I can look back and reflect. I can't even begin to tell you how blessed I am to have so many supportive family and friends who have literally CARRIED me through some of the hardest experiences. 
I am so grateful for them.


It is time for me to shower (or show-show, as we used to call it). I intend to post pictures later today of my adventures.


I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs